Recently, I tried out a Policy-Based Management tutorial.  When I got to the point where it was supposed to prevent somebody from creating a stored procedure not named a certain way, I kept getting a weird error:  “The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object ‘sp_syspolicy_dispatch_event'”.  Checking it online, I found absolutely no help, so I gave up on the task.

Then, today, I added an extended event on my server to check non-critical errors.  I kept getting the following error:  Cannot execute as the database principal because the principal “##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin##” does not exist, this type of principal cannot be impersonated, or you do not have permission.

Looking this latter problem up, I found out that the ##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin## account was bad on the msdb database.  Well, fixing that is easy:


use msdb
exec sp_change_users_login 'report'
exec sp_change_users_login 'AutoFix', '##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin##'

Running sp_change_users_login ‘report’ should return the ##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin## account.  If it does, you’re in luck and you can run the AutoFix to re-sync the database user with the instance login.  Doing this cleared up both problems in one fell swoop.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s