- If you like your privacy, you can keep it, period.
- Heritage has been all over government failure lately.
- This Washington Post story tries to blame Republicans for not letting the Obama administration do whatever it wanted.
You’d think that the reason this failed was because a small number of House Republicans willed it to, rather than (off the top of my head and therefore necessarily incomplete):
- systemic flaws in the technocratic system
- a number of bloated bureaucracies
- a lack of business acumen in the administration
- a lack of IT talent in the federal government
- the absurd nature in which a half-written bill full of “the secretary of HHS will change this later” boilerplate was supposed to turn into actual business requirements for a huge application
- the sheer horror of trying to integrate dozens of antiquated IT systems into a responsive website
- general government corruption and cronyism.
Even if Republicans were gung-ho on this law, the result would still have been an abysmal failure. And I say good on them for doing everything they could to prevent this monstrosity from rolling out.