Mitt Romney has chosen Paul Ryan to be his Vice Presidential candidate. This will make the VP debate hilarious, with Joe Biden’s handler throwing in the towel by the third question.
Ryan would not have been my primary choice: he’s a huge asset in the House and there are a few governors who would have been great choices (Jindal, McDonnell, and even Pawlenty). But with that said, Romney could have done a lot worse with his pick.
- Romney doubling down on competence.
- Bob Costa has some deep thoughts on the topic.
- Paco has a wrap-up of his own.
- John O’Sullivan has a series of thoughts on this.
- Pete Spiliakos has some thoughts as well. He has made the point in the past that Ryan would have to defend all of Ryan’s previous plans (which include compromises with Democrats and a series of previous ideas). But given that Romney would have to defend Ryan’s plans to begin with—he is, after all, the one person who is actually coming up with plans in Washington—having Ryan defend it would be better than anybody else.