- Okay, this should be pretty obvious by now: not everything you download is good. That’s also true with your smartphone.
- Password-protecting documents to get around AV scanners. Interesting.
- It’s good that Microsoft is following Google and Mozilla with automatic browser updates. One thing I would like to see is the ability to get up-to-date browsers on “older” operating systems. A large chunk of the population still uses Windows XP, so why can’t they get the latest version of IE?
- I am all for soaking scammers in courts of law. Hopefully part of this restitution goes back to people who fell for the scams. Do note the last sentence, however: “Defendants have never responded in this action or appeared before the court, much less cooperated with the court,” Judge Swain wrote. This is a problem with cross-country legal rulings.
- Something I hate as much as 419 spam is fake anti-virus software. Those guys are getting soaked, too, and good for the FTC for bringing it about.